Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Santa and the War Against Christmas

When did a visit to Santa become "photos" with Santa. Last night I took my son to see Santa and it seemed like the whole point of the visit was to "get the picture". I'm cyncial enough to know that there isn't anything pure about the commericialization of Christmas, but I didn't realize how far it had gone until my son climbed into Santa's lap. No more is Santa interested in what Billy wants for Christmas. No, it seems Santa's only concern is smiling big for the camera so that Billy's grandparents can have a nice postcard to put on the refrigerator, and I can be out another $20-30 bucks.

Fox News is making a fuss out of the supposed war on Christmas, but it seems to me that
Christians everywhere should rejoice that Walmart and Sears and Target are focusing less on Christmas and more on the holidays. Maybe if Christians began to understand that the gift of Christmas is Jesus and not the diamond from the deBeers commercials, the faith quotient in our communities would rise.

No comments: