Thursday, December 22, 2005

Christ and Commerce

"Remember when the faithful use to complain that Christmas was too commercial? Now they complain that commerce is insufficiently monotheist."

I've been thinking about Niebuhr's Christ and Culture and the whole "war against Christmas" nonsense, and I've decided that there needs to be a new addition to Niebuhr's relational models. I'll call it Christ and Commerce in Concert or Christ and Capitalism against Commonsense. This is the model of Christianity that is most fully expressed through the buying of goods and services. Christian music, books, t-shirts, self help seminars---the whole Rick Warren, Joel Osteen, Jesus as my girlfriend crowd falls into this model. Most Americans now fall into this model and is best expressed in the maxim: "the faith that is best is the faith that is bought."

1 comment:

Joseph BW Smith said...

Good post, Hawk. I wish I would have read this before my Christmas Day sermon. See you in January...